On Friday, May 29th, I’ll be undergoing my first of many procedures this summer. Under general anesthesia, I’ll be receiving a cystoscopy with hydrodistension. The same day, I’ll be taught CIC — how to catheterize myself. Recovery time is a couple of days.
In early June On July 31st I will be having my first of what might be two reconstructive pelvic surgeries. The first is an anterior and posterior colporrhaphy. Recovery time is 1-2 months. Depending on how that goes, I might then have a bladder sling surgery. Recovery time is 1-2 months.
In late August I will be having my spinal cord untethered. Recovery time is 2-3 months.
After recovering from those surgeries, I’ll be having surgery on my neck, dental surgery, and will likely have a neuromodulation stimulator implanted on my sacral spine.
In short, I’ll be in recovery for a year or longer. I really, really need some help with a lot of things to make all of this possible. So far, I have been unable to secure in-home care through Medicaid.
I’ve been unable to secure much of the durable medical equipment that I will need, as well as other surgery-related needs. My income leaves me well below the poverty line. And of course, there’s a pandemic, which complicates everything further.
If you can, please consider helping me out. I’m not going to be able to get through the next year without your assistance. There are lots of ways to contribute, none of which I consider to be small.
How To Help Me
If you don’t have my direct contact information but can help out, please contact me.
You Could Keep Me Company
- I prefer communicating through Signal and Marco Polo.
- Contact me if you need my phone number or to coordinate time for a call.
You Could Volunteer Your Time, In Person (if you live near me)
- Use my SNAP card (food stamps) to go grocery shopping for me, as I can no longer physically do it.
- Take the fresh food I get from the food bank and cook/prepare it for me, as I can no longer physically do it.
You Could Buy Things I Need
You Could Volunteer Your Time, Online
- File Management
- Organize digital publications by renaming documents and adding folders.
- Organize digital music by renaming files and folders.
- Organize digital graphics and photos into folders.
- Convert ebooks to DRM-free PDFs and rename files; organize into folders.
- Website to Files
- Organize bookmarks by filing articles into Pinboard.
- Organize bookmarks by making/updating documents of resources.
- Convert DASAN’s Sexuality & Disability Archive wishlist to an alphabetized document.
Website Restore a very old WordPress database. Setup redirects for blog posts on cazkilljoy.com and change blog architecture.
- Social Media
- Organize saved Facebook links.
- List my items that are on Facebook Marketplace on Etsy and eBay.
- Organize Pinboard by removing Twitter/ Bookmarks/ ifttt, and simplifying tags/taxonomy.
- Update DASAN’s events calendar database.
- Finish adding awareness dates to DASAN’s Google calendar.
- Organize Resource Index for Accountability Work.
You Could Gift or Donate Money
- Gift money directly to me.
- By depositing it into my ABLE account, I can only use this money for disability-related expenses, of which I have a lot! Go to UgiftABLE.com and enter the Ugift code: 82C-Y2L
- By sending it to me via Venmo, Square Cash (Cash App), or PayPal.
- Gift money to my Amazon account. (Yes, I know Besos is the devil but as a disabled and poor person, I need to purchase my needed items as cheaply as possible and have them delivered as I can’t shop in person.)
- Donate money to the group I co-founded, the Disability and Sexuality Access Network. It’s tax-deductible! Donations go to our monthly expenses and reimbursing us for what we have already paid out of pocket.
- Share with others who might be interested in what I do.